Bean Plant Life Cycle Models & 3 Part Cards
A set of beautiful, detailed and realistic models representing the four main stages of the life cycle of the bean plant. The models show the seed, germination, seedling and plant.
This set is ideal for introducing the cultural concept of life cycles and can be complemented by our other life cycle sets including the Frog, Chicken, Turtle, Butterfly and Ladybug.
This set also includes a PDF of Montessori 3 Part Cards specially designed to match the life cycle models. The cards illustrate the four stages depicted by the models.
The cards are designed by Montessori Child's own Jessica Langford, based on the sets used in her own Montessori Pre-school classroom. We send you the PDF of the cards so that you have the flexibility of making copies, replacements or resizes as you desire.
Two different types of matching cards are provided to allow for two types of cognitive exercises. The first set of cards shows an illustration that very closely resembles the models. This prompts an early 'matching' activity, as the child recognises the picture of the model. The second set of cards requires a further degree of abstraction as they depict photographs of a real bean seed emerging and growing. The cards can be used separately (illustration first then real image) or combined to allow the child to match the illustration to the photographic image.
The 3 Part Card sets can be used in a variety of ways to introduce information and allow for the acquisition of skills (each set of cards includes a small instruction sheet containing these tips):
The corresponding "Three Part Cards" can be used for a variety of purposes:
- Use just the large 'control' card (with picture and word) to lead the child towards abstraction by identifying illustrations.
- Encourage 'matching' skills as the child matches the object to the large card.
- Promote more advanced matching skills by allowing the child to match the smaller picture-only card to the control card.
- Introduce early literacy skills such as letter identification and whole-word recognition as a child matches the word-only card to the control card.
- Play a 'memory game' with the control card and picture card. Flip the cards over to show the blank side up. Assist a child to flip one of the larger cards first, to reveal its picture, then flip one of the smaller cards to try to find its mate.
When presenting the 'Three Part Cards' as a matching game please remember to encourage the child to keep each image or word visible, as shown below with our Butterfly Life Cycle cards:
Don't present it as a "snap" style game (where the matching card covers its mate) because this removes the 'control of error'. If all cards remain visible then the child can review his or her work to identify and correct any errors!