Bee Life Cycle Models & 3 Part Cards
A set of beautiful, detailed and realistic models representing the four main stages of the life cycle of the bee. The models show the egg, the larva, the pupa and the adult bee. This set is ideal for introducing the cultural concept of life cycles - and the magic of metamorphosis - and can be complemented by our other life cycle sets including the Frog, Chicken, Turtle, Ladybug, Butterfly and Plant.
This set also includes a series of Montessori 3 Part Cards specially designed and handcrafted to match the life cycle models. The cards illustrate the four stages depicted by the models but also include additional stages to tell a more comprehensive 'life story'. The Bee 3 Part Cards show the bees making honeycomb, the queen bee laying eggs, the eggs, larva, pupa, adult bee, bee collecting nectar and bee making honey. This cycle can be presented to give information about the behaviour of the bee.
The cards are handmade by Montessori Child's own Jessica Langford, based on the sets used in her own Montessori Pre-school classroom. We take the time to prepare the cards to help save your precious time for engaging and interacting with your little learners! The cards are made with square corners but if you would prefer rounded edges on your cards please include a note with your order!
The 3 Part Card sets can be used in a variety of ways to introduce information and allow for the acquisition of skills (each set of cards includes a small instruction sheet containing these tips):
The corresponding "Three Part Cards" can be used for a variety of purposes:
- Use just the large 'control' card (with picture and word) to lead the child towards abstraction by identifying illustrations.
- Encourage 'matching' skills as the child matches the object to the large card.
- Promote more advanced matching skills by allowing the child to match the smaller picture-only card to the control card.
- Introduce early literacy skills such as letter identification and whole-word recognition as a child matches the word-only card to the control card.
- Play a 'memory game' with the control card and picture card. Flip the cards over to show the blank side up. Assist a child to flip one of the larger cards first, to reveal its picture, then flip one of the smaller cards to try to find its mate.
When presenting the 'Three Part Cards' as a matching game please remember to encourage the child to keep each image or word visible (as shown in the second picture in our photo gallery). Don't present it as a "snap" style game (where the matching card covers its mate) because this removes the 'control of error'. If all cards remain visible then the child can review his or her work to identify and correct any errors!
We are currently in the process of designing and commissioning a special '3 Part Card' tray. This wooden tray will include a special compartment for the models and a space for each of the three parts of the cards. Like Montessori Child Shop on Facebook to be notified when it arrives!