Sorry, this item is out of stock
From the observations in my own Montessori classroom I've seen the Spinning Game being used in the following ways (and I'm sure I'll see many more)...
- An individual child uses one spinning top at a time on the circular side to master the challenge of using the 'pincer grip' fingers to get it spinning.
- An individual child times how long their top keeps spinning on the circular side by counting out loud (and tries to beat their own record with each subsequent spin!)
- An individual child tries to get multiple tops spinning all at once on the circular side (much harder than it sounds - it takes lots of dexterity and speed to make sure the later additions start spinning before the first ones have stopped!)
- An individual child sets a single spinning top in motion on the labyrinth side, observing closely as it weaves around the track.
- An individual child sets multiple spinning tops in motion on the labyrinth side and watches in amazement as they journey around the board!
- A group of children all spin their tops together on the circular side and observe the movement.
- A group of children time how long their own top keeps spinning on the circular side and then engage in mathematical analysis, such as comparing which top spun the longest or making a chart to track the spinning times of different tops.
- A group of children all spin their tops on the labyrinth side and watch the mesmerising motion as they wind around the path and nudge each other off in different directions!
The wooden board measures approximately 25cm x 25cm with a thickness of 2cm (making it very solid and durable). It comes with 12 spinning tops in a variety of vivid and appealing colours. Each spinning top is around 3.5cm x 3.5cm.
This is truly a special investment piece - something unique and utterly appealing that is of exceptional quality.
Some of my Montessori Preschool children also informed me that the spinning tops and board are just like a "cool" program they watch. Apparently the show consists of characters who 'battle' with devices that work like spinning tops (but sound a bit more elaborate!) I have absolutely no idea what show they were describing, it's not something I've ever encountered personally, but it certainly seemed to make them incredibly enthusiastic about the game! They bonded over their recollections of the show but were able to take it from a dependence on that fantasy world into an experience that was real and in their control.
This stunning piece is lovingly designed and crafted by the Creative Wood Company. The Creative Wood Company is a local, small business. It is operated in Australia by a husband and wife team who specialises in creating unique wooden educational toys and homeware products. They have a strong focus is on eco friendly, ethical and sustainable practices and materials. Their beautiful items are made by hand based on their original designs and are intended to offer safe and high-quality materials that inspire open-ended uses for children.
The Creative Wood Company aim to have the least amount of non-natural finish on our products. Food safe oils are used to bring out the colour of the wood or to add colourful features. Please note that wood is a natural material and will dry out over time, so oil can be used to rejuvenate it as necessary (Creative Wood Company recommends coconut oil but please consider allergy implications before using any food-based oil).