World Landmarks (Set 2)
Sorry, this item is out of stock
PLEASE NOTE: OUR CARD SETS ARE CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE.
This is because all cards are handmade to order by Jessica (who, along with her husband Andrew, owns and operates Montessori Child). Jessica and Andrew are currently on leave as they have travelled to the International Montessori Congress and will be away until early September.
Other products can be ordered during Jessica and Andrew's absence, so that you can reserve your resources, but since our cards are custom-made we are unable to accept these preorders for them as it would create a significant backlog upon our return that would result in further delays for our patient customers.
Cards will be available again from 1st September.
We apologise for any disappointment and thank you for your patience.
A set of realistic models and corresponding cards to help introduce the names and appearance of various man-made landmarks.
A wonderfully cultural geography lesson that is as aesthetically beautiful as it is informative!
The set includes; Mount Rushmore, Easter Island statues, Sphinx, Stonehenge, the Buddha of Lantau, Colosseum and the Great Wall of China.
This exercise helps to promote language skills (in terms of both verbal and written language), concentration, attention to detail and the abstraction of information. The child first explores the models and then begins to match these 'concrete' 3-dimensional models to the more 'abstract' images on the cards. The images show the landmarks in their natural surroundings (as opposed to a photograph of the model). This is intended to help a child develop an understanding of the context of the landmarks, rather than seeing them solely in isolation. The images on the cards have also been specially selected to closely resemble the models.
The Cards are handmade by Montessori Child's own Jessica Langford, based on the sets used in her own Montessori Pre-school classroom. We take the time to prepare the cards to help save your precious time for engaging and interacting with your little learners!
The Models and Cards can be used for a variety of activities;
- Encourage 'matching' skills as the child matches the object to the large card.
- Use just the card (without the models) to lead the child towards abstraction by identifying illustrations
- Introduce early literacy skills such as letter identification and whole-word recognition as a child matches the word-only card to the control card.
- Promote advanced literacy skills by demonstrating how to use the cards as the basis for creating a 'Landmark Book'. The child can use the photographs to inspire an illustration of each landmark and then use the printed word as guidance to write that under the drawing.
- Play a 'Mystery Bag' game by placing all the models inside a fabric bag (or under a piece of thin fabric) so that the child can try to identify the landmark based solely on the feel of the shape of the model
- Create a stronger element of geography by relating each landmark to its position on the world map. This can be done using the Montessori Puzzle Maps, an Atlas, or other materials demonstrating parts of the globe. The child can learn to match the landmarks to the country (or continent) to which it belongs.
The Landmark Cards are provided as a single set of picture and word cards. They are not initially provided in the '3 Part Card' format that some of our other model sets feature. If you would like to create 3 Part Cards then please add an order note and we will email you a copy of the document. This will allow you to print an additional set to use for matching (and you can then reprint if you ever lose a card!).
Please note - rounded corners on the cards are available by request. Please send a note with your order if you'd prefer these rounded corners.
Let your child's mind travel to even more corners of the Earth with our Landmarks Set 1 including...
Arc De Triomphe, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Parthenon, Pyramids of Giza, Statue of LIberty, the Taj Mahal and the Temple of Inscriptions.